Monday, July 30, 2012

Guest Post: Drew Dudley Shares the Shinerama Impact

Hi everyone! I wanted to share two brief experiences with you that speak to just how deeply Shinerama impacts Canadian lives.

I speak almost 150 times a year at present, and I don’t think a single one of them has gone by where I haven’t mentioned Shinerama in some way.  However, in some presentations, I talk a great deal about the campaign, the people I’ve met, and the things I’ve learned.



That was the case recently at a teachers’ convention in Calgary. A couple of days ago, I received an email from a woman who was there. She included the above photo, and asked me to pass it and this message along to all of you:

“I'd like to sincerely thank you for all of the energy that you put into your work with Shinerama. My daughter, who just turned 6, was diagnosed with CF at the age of six weeks through the infant screening program that was still a pilot project when she was born.  She was the 4th child caught because of this screening. My husband, family and I are so grateful for the many people out there in the world who donate their time and energy to fight CF, which is such an intimate part of our lives.”


A few months ago, a girl at an elementary school came up to me and said, “I didn’t know anybody even knew about what I had. But last month I saw all the people out raising money, and it made me cry realizing that not only do people know, they care about it. Please tell them thanks, I was too scared to do it.”

So two things:
  • Stop scaring Grade 8 girls.
  • What you’re doing matters, and I’m still hearing about it.

Thanks so much everyone!
Drew

***** 
Drew Dudley, AB.c, DEF.g, HI.j, KLM, N.Op, QR.s, TU.v, W.x, Yz
Founder & Chief Catalyst
Nuance Leadership Inc.
1.855.685.3253 (Toll Free)
647.522.3739 (Direct)
@NuanceDrew on Twitter
“And but for the sky there are no fences facing.”

2 comments: