Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why We Do What We Do for Shinerama

(Or the Story of How I Balled my Eyes Out at a Live Comedy Show)

For most of you coordinating or involved in a Shinerama Committee, your Shine Day is only a few weeks away. This likely also means you are starting to feel a bit (or a lot) of pressure and stress to get everything organized so that you can meet your fundraising goals. Of course, your goals are extremely important and we want you and your team to do all that you can to meet them and kick cystic fibrosis to the curb.

However, I wanted to take a minute and share an experience I had while coordinating a Shinerama campaign last September. The experience, although seemingly small, was THE most significant thing that happened to me during my involvement with the campaign, because it showed me exactly why it is we do what we do for Shinerama.

So here we go. 
It’s early September, the first official day of Frosh Week for Saint Mary’s University. I’m Vice President of Student Life, which means I’m running the show for all things related to O-Week. I’m functioning on very little sleep after training 65 Frosh Leaders for the past three days, and living off of energy drinks. However, we’ve just had a great first day and Comedy Night is about to start. The show is packed with first year students and I should be on cloud nine, but the only thing on my mind is tomorrow’s weather forecast. Why, you ask? Tomorrow is SMU’s Shine Day.

At this point, the weather is calling for rain and thundershowers. I was extremely disheartened by this to say the least. Our Shinerama committee still had yet to meet our online fundraising goal and although we had had some successful secondary fundraisers, we were counting on Shine Day to really boost our total dollars raised. This was the first year Shinerama was happening at SMU in over a decade, and I was worried now more than ever that no one would show up to participate the following morning. The only things going through my head were numbers and rain, when my phone buzzed and a Facebook notification popped up on my screen.

I opened Facebook on my phone to find a message from a SMU student named Alexandria, whom at this point, I had only met briefly once or twice. Attached to the message was a photo of a woman holding a baby. The message read:

“I wanted to send you this picture to show you how thankful I am that SMU is participating in Shinerama. I’m extremely thankful to all the students around Canada who take part, but it’s nice when it’s happening at the place you call home. Without the support of the students, my life may be completely different. I know for a fact that my grandmother’s would.” 

The photo attached was of Alexandria’s Grandmother holding Alexandria as a newborn baby. Alexandria's Grandmother has cystic fibrosis.

After reading the message I was immediately overwhelmed by what all of this meant. I started crying and it was at this point that I came to several important realizations.

The first was that when you ball your eyes out while sitting front and centre at a live comedy show, people stare. And they think you are crazy. And it is awkward.

The second and arguably more significant realization was that regardless of bad weather, or how much money we raised, or how many volunteers we got out, we had affected someone’s life in a positive way. In the previous months, it had become too easy to get caught up with numbers and goals and weather reports, to the point that why it is we do what we do for Shinerama had been moved to a back shelf in my mind and stayed there. Alexandria’s personal story was a wake-up call for me. She and her grandmother are exactly why it is we do what we do and exactly why we work so hard so that one day CF can stand for ‘Cure Found’.

The next day it poured rain just as the weather forecast had presumed, but it didn’t matter. SMU shined and by the end of our campaign we surpassed our overall fundraising goal.

I wanted to share this experience as a reminder that every single one of your efforts towards this cause makes a difference. I was lucky enough to encounter someone who reminded me of this at a time when it was needed most. Alexandria, thank you for sharing your story. I will never again forget why it is we do what we do. 

In the words of Emerson, “to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - that is to have succeeded”.

Shine on.

Justine Stacey
Campaign Advisor, Atlantic Canada

Alexandria and her Grandmother

1 comment:

  1. For all CF families, we thank you for your energy and your hard work on our behalf. You ARE making a huge contribution to those living with CF.

    ReplyDelete